April 20, 2007

Why make moving so painful?



Picture Source: allseasonsmoving.net

A lot of my friends are moving to different places for job. It is surprising that they actually want to carry most of their stuff along. They are thinking about transporting their couch, dining table, chairs, study table, bed and even Comforters.. How ridiculous is that? As graduate students more importantly desi graduate students, none of us buy NEW furniture. It is either got from the dumpster or thrift shop or hand down from graduating folks! I got my bed and couch from a friend who was graduating.

I have decided that I am not going to carry any of my stuff when I have to leave Gnv. There is no point in carrying stuffs which have been used for 2+2+2=6 years. When you get a good job you would want to buy new stuff and settle down.. You know for a fact you are going to be in that place for at least 2 years. From the time you came to the US, you have been using "used/pre-owned" things. Why not go in for new things now. I understand the reluctance in buying a new car but not a new bed or a new comforter! I have always wanted to buy one of the bed sets displayed in Macy's. They look so good and obviously expensive. So I was searching for cheap new bed sets online and found out about this site DownDeals.com. They are actually suppliers to shops like Macy's, Dillards etc. and are selling things at a much lower price! They have comforters, blankets and other bedding stuff. I found out that they have featherbeds. When I read about these beds I came to know that they are actually stuffed with bird's feathers. Has anyone actually used this bed?

I am going to make my moving very simple.. Just my clothes, some utensils and left over groceries! I don't want to make my "moving" so painful!

3 comments:

guyfromblore said...

why even take left-over groceries? leave those behind for some indian grad student!

Swetha said...

Parents are bringing some dhal and stuff. Just the new ones!

Anil P said...

For most people it's tough leaving anything behind, attachment.