April 16, 2007

The Namesake



Picture source: impawards.com

I watched the movie 'The Namesake' last night. It was a last minute plan to go for the movie. My roommate and I have been asking for the DVD of the movie at the Indian store for over 2 weeks and finally we saw that the movie was screened at a theater here. So we decided to go and watch it. I should say that the movie was worth the $$$.

When we entered the movie hall there were exactly 2 people. Then a few more desies came and totally there were 10 of us watching the movie.. What else can you expect for a 10.00 pm show on a Sunday night?

The movie was very good. I have not read the book by Jhumpa Lahiri but my roommate has and she told me that the movie has done justice to the book.

So here are my views:

Pros:
  • The story was told very well.
  • The movie was not fast paced at the same time was not dragging.
  • Tabu's make up suited the role very well.
  • Irfan Khan and Tabu did an amazing job. They seemed very natural and I thought that they acted very well.
  • The costumes for all the actors was very nice and appropriate for the role they played.
Cons:
  • Choosing Kal Pen to do the pivotal role might have not been the right thing. Although he did a good job, I thought that he is better suited for movies like the American Pie! In the first half although there was a lot of scope to be Kal Pen, he did not fully utilize it. In the second half, when his father dies, I could barely see any acting from Kal Pen. He was good towards the end.
Overall: Good meaningful movie.

3 comments:

Arry Potter said...

nice review buddy. Can you please add me to your blog roll

Reel Fanatic said...

I like all of Mira Nair's movies, so I'm definitely looking forward to this one .. Unfortunately, they don't play movies this good on the big screen in my little corner of the world, so I'll probably have to wait for DVD .. And I too will have trouble taking Kal Penn seriously!

guyfromblore said...

i think you should add a 'spoiler warning' to this post :-) you mentioned that Kal Penn's Dad dies in the second half!