June 26, 2005

A million $ question

I am writing about marriages after reading a fellow blogger's post and after realizing that my sister just completed her first month of married life!!

I have always wondered if it is possible to choose a person with whom u are going to spend the rest of your life, in a matter of few days or weeks.. May be for some this seems very plausible but I still wonder..

A few phone conversations and meetings cannot be the grounds on which one decides to get married to the other.

Love vs. Arranged marriages:

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages..

Love marriages are becoming very common these days.Everyone seems to be in a steady relationship but do they all end up in Holy Matrimony??? I doubt that.. One thing which most of us forget is, when our parents have brought us up for say 23-25 years, wouldn’t they know what is best for us?? It is not like they would want us to marry someone blind folded or force anything on us.

My sister had an arranged marriage, but they decided on getting married only after some 10 months of getting to know each other.But the initial introduction and exchange of horoscopes was done by my parents.. Do u call this an arranged marriage or a love marriage?? Both my parents and my b-in-law’s parents are very happy and proud of them..

Love is not something very difficult to explain. It is trust with understanding and care for each other. I do know a lot of successful love marriages and quite a many arranged marriages that have failed.

Personally I don’t know what kind of marriage I will have.Will I meet the right guy, even if I do will I realize that?? I guess I will find answers to these questions in the near future!!!

5 comments:

Swetha said...

hi revathi,

i am neither against love marriages nor am i trying to ridicule it.. i am just saying that if parents arn't ok with the idea of a love marriage, then one can't let them down.. after all they have brought us up for so many years.But falling in love is not something predictable. It just happens..We should make sure that the person is the right one and should be ready to make adjustments.

Sidharth said...

I think for the marriage to work,it doesnt depend on whether it was love or arranged but more on how the 2 ppl. are.If they really believe in the importance of marriage and understand each other well,am sure it will result in holy matrimony!

Just my 1.5 cents!

Swetha said...

sid i think u are 100% right. it depends on the two people coz they are going to spend the rest of their lives with each other.

Sidharth said...

3 days..no post??!!

Wake up lazybones ;)

Swetha said...

ravi:

i think u are right. it doesnt matter what kind of marriage it is, as long as u can make things work.