April 13, 2008

US Airways - No Way!

I went to India in March for a 3 week vacation. This is my story with US Airways on my way to India.

I was supposed to catch my connecting flight at Philadelphia to Frankfurt. I did the mistake of taking US Airways. There was a ground strike in Frankfurt and the US Airways people asked all the passengers without a German visa to rebook their flight. The staff was totally discourteous. They were not prepared to even answer out questions. So I got my flight re-booked for the next day. I was asked to go to "US Airways Special Services".. The female at the counter told me that she cannot check for the availability on other airlines and asked me to go to the International Ticket counter. So I went and found out that the US Airways staff there was more rude. She asked me to collect my baggage at a different terminal and go to DOMESTIC to check it in.. All she wanted to do was GET RID of me. When I went to Terminal B to pick up my baggage, I was informed that they did not pull my baggage out of the flight to Frankfurt. What a mess!!

I came back to the International Ticketing counter and went to the same lady who asked me to go to the Domestic Counter. She literally yelled at me and told me that she cannot do anything about my situation and that they will not provide me accommodation as well. I got totally frustrated. She told me that it was no big deal if I spend that night at the airport and that things like this happen! Can customer service get any worse? I wish I had the presence of mind and made note of her name. I for sure would have taken it up with US Airways corporate office.

There was a Lufthansa counter next to the US Airways counter. I went to the representative there to find out about the strike since I was flying Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Chennai. I could see a marked difference in how they treated their customers. I asked the floor manager if there was anyway I could take their flight that evening to Frankfurt. He took my passport, went inside and came back with my boarding pass. He told me that there was only a ground strike and that all flights to India were operating. It was 5.35 pm and the flight was scheduled to leave at 5.45 pm. I rushed to the gate and was almost the last person to board the flight. My sincere thanks to the Lufthansa people for helping me get to India as scheduled.

Although I was flying US Airways to Frankfurt, they refused to even help me out! US Airways could never offer the same customer service as Lufthansa. I can bet my money on that.

Bottom line, if you are flying international - DO NOT fly US Airways unless you are ok with a pathetic service and a don't care attitude. At least that has been my experience. Probably I am not lucky enough to get better basic service from them!

No comments: