February 14, 2007

Chennai shocked me

I was in India a month back and was amazed at the way the Chennai and Chennaites have changed.

A lot of vehicles on the road and totally unmanaged and indisciplined traffic. People don't stop at Red lights, they don't use the indicators to turn, they don't care about the pedestrians... What has happened to us?

I went shopping and got a couple of pants. I thought the bill was going to be around Rs.2000. But when I got the bill, I had a heart attack.. Rs.3000 for 2 pants = $70 for 2 pants??
I felt that the prices of salwars and silk skirts were a daylight robbery.. Agreed due to the "IT boon" people are earning a lot of money, but I don't think that they MINT money in TCS or Wipro.. or do they?

I kept wondering as to how the middle class people are surviving with this kind of high prices? Even food has become so expensive.

Now lets focus on the teenage girls and guys, they seemed to be so westernized that I actually had a "cultural shock" visiting India. South India is supposedly more conservative than the north.. God save the kids' parents.. I went to Coffee day in Numgambakkam and was taken aback by the way the girls were dressed up and the things they were talking about. My friend told me that all this has become very common in Chennai..

Are we changing too fast? It just feels like 'peer pressure' is the IN thing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

something should be done to change this drastic situation .. but what ?