February 10, 2006

Didn't believe it until today!

When people told me that Indians try to insult fellow Indians in interviews, I didn’t believe it.. Today it happened to me.

I had an interview with Microsoft and guess what? I got a desi interviewer! That (#$%^&) guy was trying to contradict me in everything I said. I guess his sole aim was to make me feel like I know nothing and he was Bill Gates's guide! I wanted to give him a piece of my mind as soon as the interview got over but then thought that I would be creating a scene. But I am going to write a very strong mail to Microsoft about what happened today.

I was surprised when the interviewer started of by saying that the position I had applied for was not defined right in the website and that I should think about it.. Then he goes directly to the questioning sessions! No warming up whatsoever.

He was very impatient and was trying to hurry me up! I guess he forgot the meaning of the word friendliness and smile. Then he asked me some design questions. To most of my answers he said that it is not going to work out... The question was about designing an elevator...

May be I shouldn't expect the interviewers to know how to smile and be friendly!

I guess today has by far been one of the worst days of my life for more than one reason :(

9 comments:

guyfromblore said...

hey, that sounds pretty bad. but dont let that get you.. and dont take it this personally. hang in there, and youll land something soon. GOod Luck.

Anonymous said...

i agree with you but this attitude is only with indians in the age group of 25 to 35 especially those who are useless.thats why they try to put ppl down to prove to themselves that they are better than someone else.not knowing they are fooling themselves,

it is not important to get into a big name company.it is more important to get into a company and job you like.good luck!

Swetha said...

Lalith:

First of all 'Welcome to my little space on the web'..
I know I shouldn't let this affect me..

Thank you for the support

Swetha said...

Pavan:

I think you are right... May be it is because of the lack of confidence of retaining the job, that they act this way !

Uma:

Indian Crab Syndrome - Amazing term and analogy!

Ricky:

Thanks a lot for your wishes.. I am also hoping to hear some good news ;)

neighbour said...

If that really happened I pity on the interviewer how he got into MS.

and then Pavan... Why you are so much upset on age group 25-35 .. are they useless... I dont agree with this.. I hope everyone wont.

Anonymous said...

swetha,

no matter what age they are be it 25 or 35 or even 85,indians dont change.i work in a pretty reputed company filled with them and i would rather trade this job for a smaller startup with lesser pay away from them.politics,gossip and crab mentality make working in a company filled with indians a horror

wish you the very best in your jobsearch.you are sure to get into a company that deserves you.good luck

brute said...

indians are both good and bad

Jayesh S said...

Interviews are a sham anyway in Microsoft...They take women regardless of the interview ( talk about gender-bias!)...So dont be surprised if you do get in.

Anonymous said...

I got asked the same elevator question but the interviewer was trying to understand how I think and he was helping me out.

But I also know what you are talking about. I had one such interview. Microsoft interviews are gruelling but this interviewer must have been mean instead of trying to learn about your skills.

I agree with jay that microsoft interviews are a total sham. Most of the questions are repeated and people study the questions before they go to the interview.

Even if you do the interview right, the HR will do stupid things. My friend was the smartest in his class but he got rejected while all the girls (desi) in his class got accepted.

You shoudl try google interviews. Actually, people in microsoft want to work for google.