July 13, 2008

My iPhone Adventure

It all started with me deciding to buy the iPhone on Thursday evening after my prolonged discussion with friends and tireless forum hopping :) My miscalculation of people's enthusiasm in Dallas made me go to the AT&T store at 7:45 am on Friday. I drove by the store and for the first time I couldn't find a parking in that strip mall. Then I decided to park at a close by shop and walked to ATT. There were some 80 people in front of me.. I actually thought that there might be some 15-20 people max waiting in line on a weekday morning.. Looks like there are a lot of people like me who would go late to work rather than miss getting the iPhone on the day of its release!

I waited in line with no place to sit or even stretch.. By 8:30 am, our dear Mr.Dallas Sun started showing off his colors and brightness and ofcours the heat.. All of us were asked to fill out some form and were patiently waiting in line . There were some onlookers with a smirk and a "how stupid and jobless can u people get" look on their faces.. We waved and smiled and told that some of us came just that morning and there were infact people who camped overnight! After 1.5 hours of wait in the "stand here for a free tan" line and with just 10 people in front of me, the store manager came out and announced that they were SOLD OUT!!! I was so damned.

"A true hero is one who never gives up" said Master Shifu (Kung fu panda). Following his words, I decided not to give up and try again the next day. In order to better prepare for my battle with iPhone, I gathered statistics and found out that one of the stores was getting a shipment that midnight and will be open for sale on Saturday at 10:00 am. After having burnt my finger (actually my whole arm) the previous day, I decided to get to the store early.. how early was the question. I took a poll with my friends and decided to be at the store at 7:30 am. So I missed partying on friday night with some friends here and went to bed early. I set 2 alarms just in case :)

I was at the store at 7:40 and there were 14 people in front of me... People get a life.. There are better things to do than wait in line for an iPhone... Oops, I was there 2.5 hours before store hours for the iPhone.. I better shut up!! But this time around I was well prepared to brave the heat and the boredom. I took a bottle of water, sunscreen, sunglasses, a book, my iPod and my cellphone. I finally got my dear, lovely, amazing and splendid iPhone at 10.30 am!!! Since then I haven't been able to stay away from it :) It is worth the wait but not worth the sunburn.

1 comment:

guyfromblore said...

so, how do you like the iPhone 3G so far?